Re: Installing Debian on IBM Thinkpad X24

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 10:36:39PM -0400, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
| So I got myself one of these nifty things.  It's really nice but it won't
| be perfect until I can get Debian on it.  The problem is doesn't have a
| floppy or cd drive.  I did notice it can boot from the network.  Would it
| be possible to do some kind of TFTP type deal?

Possibly.  Read through the diskless howto, then set up your current
Debian system to be the server on the network.  Then see what happens
when you boot the laptop.

| (I know I could just get a PCMCIA cd-drive but where's the fun in that?)

Or put the hard drive in a machine with a cd or floppy drive :-).

(I've done that a couple times because its the only way on a machine
with 8MB RAM, and its the only sane way to dist-upgrade on that
machine (until I set up NFS so I could just chroot to the router's
root fs))

-D

                                     .... what McDonald's is to gourmet cooking

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/