Re: devfs backward compat. problem (solved)

Hi again,

* hastings@physics.unimelb.edu.au <hastings@physics.unimelb.edu.au> [030829 14:36]:
> Hi all,
>
> firstly please excuse possible line wrap problems and lack of my usual gpg
> signature. I'm sending this via squirrel mail for reasons described below.

Yay, no more web mail.

> I'm running sid with a 2.6.0-test2 kernel with devfs. Yesterday I did a
> dist-upgrade and then shut down. The devfsd package was _not_ upgraded.
> I'm not sure if it is relevant but initrd-tools was upgraded.
>
> I rebooted today to find that none of the old style device nodes are being
> created in /dev. For example my root partition /dev/hda4 is not there. As
> you can guess this causes no end of problems.

<snip>

I read the boot messages more carefully (gotta love Shift-PgUp), and
saw that devfsd was failing to start. It was bailing out try to
process /etc/devfsd/conf.d/alsa (alsa-base 0.9.6-1). The last line of
this file must be malformed. I simply commented it out.

hastings@twofish ~ 17%  cat /etc/devfs/conf.d/alsa
# device permissions for ALSA sound devices.
REGISTER ^snd/.*    PERMISSIONS root.audio  0660
#REGSITER ^snd/controlC0 CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink /proc/asound/oss/sndstat /dev/sndstat

Any devfs experts know how to fix this line properly?

Cheers,

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux twofish 2.6.0-test3-looxt93c2 i686 GNU/Linux