Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

Ron Johnson said on Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 02:16:22PM -0500:
> The SDLC and corporate politics are independent.  Academics should
> take corporate politics into consideration when coming up with these
> theories.

There's a good reason they don't: corporate politics are not a benefit to the
company, and therefor don't fit into most models of how a corporation "works"
(since many models assume rational behavior, ie, behavior that will benefit the
group as a whole).  If your company tolerates internal politics, well, you're
going to be in trouble when your competitor, who doesn't tolerate that kind of
crap, comes along.

> With tight budgets and tight schedules, I've *never* seen a project
> rewritten.

Rewriting from scratch is dangerous anyway; you exchange all of the bugs you
know about for a whole new set of bugs which you haven't discovered yet.
Better to improve what you've got.  This can result in a totally different
codebase after a while, but at least you have been able to test and release
along the way.