Re: gpg problems

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 08:31:47PM +0100, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 04:32:05PM -0400, Vikki Roemer wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have a gpg key, and under my old install I could get gpg to work with
> > mutt.  Now mutt and gpg won't work together.  Apparently gpg can't find my
> > key, or something like that.  The errors I get every time I try to send a
> > signed email are:
> > gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=00)
> > gpg: read_keyblock: read error: invalid packet
> > gpg: enum_keyblocks failed: invalid keyring
> > gpg: no default secret key: invalid keyring
> > gpg: signing failed: invalid keyring
>
> I'd suspect that this is just gpg - not mutt.  To eliminate mutt, try
> signing some file - if that fails too, then the problem is most likely
> with gnupg.

Ok, it's a gnupg problem.

> > I don't know how to get it work now.  I kept all my dotfiles from my old
> > install (I was running testing, but now that I'm running a server I'm
> > running stable-- don't know if that's pertinent or not), so everything
> > should run the same as before, right?
>
> So: you used to run testing, but now run stable.  This would imply that
> you have downgraded gnupg: stable has version 1.0.6-3, testing has
> 1.2.2-1...

Right.

> Perhaps the newer version (=older for you) of gnupg may have done things
> to your keyring that the older (=newer for you) version doesn't
> understand.  Or perhaps there were key types added in gnupg..
>
> Did you generate your gnupg key with the testing version of gnupg? The
> stable version might not understand that sort of key.

I don't think so.  IIRC, I generated the key *before* I upgraded to testing,
so the key was generated with stable's gpg.  But, OTOH, the past ~8 months
are kinda fuzzy (for reasons I'd rather not go into), so I'm not entirely
sure when I upgraded. *shrug* Sorry.

> I'd suggest studying gnupg's changelog for details; if it is only the
> keyring format that has changed, then you should be able to export all
> the keys (using gnupg/testing) and re-create them using gnupg/stable.
> [make backups until ankle-depth first though. Keys are important]

How do I run testing apps in stable?  I don't want to upgrade and then
downgrade again.  Can I just run the testing version of gpg in a stable
system?   If so, at that rate I could run metalog, too. (I love metalog, but
it's only in testing, not stable, so I'm stuck with syslog-ng. :b)
Anyway...  Is it possible to run kind of  a hybrid system?

TIA.

--
Vikki Roemer        Homepage: http://neuromancer.homelinux.com/
Registered Linux user #280021   http://counter.li.org/

Linux is like a wigwam: no Windows, no Gates, Apache inside.

PGP fingerprint: 0A3E 0AE4 CCD9 FF31 B4BB  C859 2DE1 B1D8 5CE0 1578
Keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/