Re: gpg problems

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 04:32:05PM -0400, Vikki Roemer wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a gpg key, and under my old install I could get gpg to work with
> mutt.  Now mutt and gpg won't work together.  Apparently gpg can't find my
> key, or something like that.  The errors I get every time I try to send a
> signed email are:
> gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=00)
> gpg: read_keyblock: read error: invalid packet
> gpg: enum_keyblocks failed: invalid keyring
> gpg: no default secret key: invalid keyring
> gpg: signing failed: invalid keyring

I'd suspect that this is just gpg - not mutt.  To eliminate mutt, try
signing some file - if that fails too, then the problem is most likely
with gnupg.

> I don't know how to get it work now.  I kept all my dotfiles from my old
> install (I was running testing, but now that I'm running a server I'm
> running stable-- don't know if that's pertinent or not), so everything
> should run the same as before, right?

So: you used to run testing, but now run stable.  This would imply that
you have downgraded gnupg: stable has version 1.0.6-3, testing has
1.2.2-1...

Perhaps the newer version (=older for you) of gnupg may have done things
to your keyring that the older (=newer for you) version doesn't
understand.  Or perhaps there were key types added in gnupg..

Did you generate your gnupg key with the testing version of gnupg? The
stable version might not understand that sort of key.

I'd suggest studying gnupg's changelog for details; if it is only the
keyring format that has changed, then you should be able to export all
the keys (using gnupg/testing) and re-create them using gnupg/stable.
[make backups until ankle-depth first though. Keys are important]

HTH

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com   http://karl.jorgensen.com