Re: TrueType fonts (again)

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 01:31:50PM +0200, Nicos Gollan wrote:
> On Thursday 28 August 2003 04:43, Robert Storey wrote:
> > I upgraded to Sid. Mozilla, which previously had bitmapped fonts, now
> > has
> > TrueType fonts - apt-get dist-upgrade" seems to have handled this
> > automagically . That's great, but Konqueror, Kmail, and Sylpheed (among
> > others) are still stuck in bitmap mode.
>
> Two things:
>
> Mozilla has its own font handling (via FreeType) while QT (and thus KDE) and
> other X applications use the X font system.

This isn't true anymore.  Qt (and KDE) in Sid use fontconfig to get
their fonts.  Now you'll need to add a <dir>/foo/bar</dir> entry to
/etc/fonts/local.conf telling fontconfig where to find your TrueType
fonts.

Just to complicate things, if you install "mozilla-xft" then Mozilla
will use fontconfig, as well.

> Depending on your setup, you'll
> have to make sure that X knows about the fonts. If you don't see the fonts
> with xfontsel, have a look at your /etc/XF86Config-4 and check if the font
> path is set correctly. If so, you might have to recreate the font index in
> the directory the TT fonts are installed.

xfontsel will tell you if your fonts are available as "X core fonts",
which GTK1.2, Qt2.2 and most older X apps use.  "fc-list" will list
fonts available to the fontconfig system (and apps using it).

> If X knows about the fonts but any QT based application fails to see them,
> edit the file ~/.qt/qtrc and set the variables useXft and enableXft to
> 'false'. This seems to be a bug in QT.

Not sure about this bit, but I've certainly had KDE3 and GNOME2 and
Mozilla (with mozilla-xft) all have access to my fonts without editing
anything aside from the fontconfig config file.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:    condor Freeh Subversion jihad propaganda Subversion sniper