Re: Command line printing

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 14:38, Wayne Gemmell wrote:
> Hi all
> Now that I've got printing in KDE to work I need to get Openoffice  and
> network(Samba) printing to work. Oo seems to need a commandline input and
> this is what I'm starting with and also where my confusion begins.
> A few questions,
> Which package is lp part of?
> Should I use lp or lpr? I seem to have both, whats the difference?
> Are there any suggestions as to a command line entry I can use to print from?
> -->
> 	I'm using a HP710C printer that is named as such in CUPS.
> 	The printer prints through the web interface using the reference
> 		ipp://Wuler:631/printers/HP710 (from the cups error log)
> 	The driver is pnm2ppa (not hpijs)
>
> 	lpstat gives the error
> 	<error>
> 		lpstat: Unable to connect to server: Connection refused
> 	</error>
>
> 	cupsdoprint -P HP710C zzz gives the error
> 	<error>
> 		server-error-service-unavailable
> 	</error>

If the name you gave to your printer is HP710C, then you should be
able to print any random text file by typing
  $ lp -d HP710C foobar.txt

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

The purpose of the military isn't to pay your college tuition or
give you a little extra income; it's to "kill people and break things".
Surprisingly, not everyone understands that.