woody, alsa 0.9.6: snd_ctl_open fails?

I'm trying (without success) to get ALSA version 0.9.6 to work in woody using kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4. I built alsa-driver and alsa-lib from the sources provided by alsa-project.org; I built them against the kernel-headers-bf2.4 package. both compiled and installed without complaint. I am using an SB Live (emu10k1). I have done an apt-get dist-upgrade.

when running alsamixer after inserting the modules, I get this error (it is the only output):

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

of course, no other apps can access the mixer or the card's input/output. it seems like this should be working... I've tried moving the card around, but no luck.

I am reasonably sure this is not a hardware problem, as OSS drivers work fine. also, I sense that this is not a problem with the snd-emu10k1 driver itself: I swapped the card out for my older ens1371 card, set the proper module options for that card, modprobe'd it with no errors, and got the same error from alsamixer. OSS also works fine for the 1371 card.

I have my .asoundrc's set properly, and I put the module configuration in /etc/modutils/alsa (as opposed to editing modules.conf directly) and ran update-modules. modules.conf looks fine. I also compiled a 2.4.22 kernel, built the modules against that, and got the same result. any ideas?

really, I would be using CVS alsa right now, but I figured I would try with a release first...

cr