Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 06:21, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 01:11:08AM -0500, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> > The recent COBOL discussion has gotten me to thinking. Some languages
> > seem to be very popular in some situations. C is easily the dominant
> > language for most things Linux. So therein lies the question. Why,
> > exactly, is C so popular?
>
> It's relatively easy to learn, plus everybody else in the unix world
> uses C.  It's portable.  It helps to know your history:  C was created
> to write unix to begin with.

To sound like your mother: because everybody else in the world jumps
off a cliff, does that mean you should?  Of course not...

In other words, programmers who use C primarily because "everybody
else in the unix world uses C" and "C was created to write unix to
begin with" are sheep.

Give me a better reason, like "I need to touch the hardware", or
"the scripting language I use only allows binary extensions to be
written in C".

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Fear the Penguin!!"