Re: COBOL compiler

On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 22:57, Al Davis wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 August 2003 04:35 am, Alex Malinovich wrote:
--snip--
> You didn't say what your major is, so I am assuming it is CS.

CIS actually. Not nearly as much theory as CS and a very solid grounding
in business and management. About the most 'advanced' CS stuff covered
in the program is big O complexity and constructing various data
structures from scratch. (linked lists and the such)

> It is worth studying many languages, including those that do not
> seem to apply to your present interests.  You are not expected
> to like them all.

Yes, but it's very easy to lose sight of that when the only thing
standing between you and your degree are two COBOL classes. :)

> COBOL should be studied for several reasons.  First, it uses a
> syntax that is more conversational than other languages.  Also,
> it is has been and still is of significant historical interest.
> By learning it, and learning its style, you learn programming
> techniques that you would probably not be exposed to otherwise.

I have been absolutely amazed by how easy COBOL is to read. However,
that also comes at the price of being incredibly wordy. Our first "Hello
World" program is a little over two pages.

> Windows, too, has its place.  Too many CS schools use MS-Windows
> exclusively.  In my mind, this destroys their credibility.  As
> much as I like GNU, Linux, free software,..  I must admit that
> an environment that is 100% GNU, Linux, free also is of limited
> credibility.  You see only one side.  A truly good program will
> use a mix of systems.

I definitely agree with this. My school, unfortunately, is very
Windows-centric. Linux is briefly mentioned in an operating systems
course along with BSD, Unix, MacOS, DOS, and a whole bunch of others.
All within the span of about 3 paragraphs.

I have in 5 years met only one professor who has ever used Linux. There
are only a few who have ever even heard of it. Though, to their credit,
they are all serious, business-minded professionals. They might not be
hackers in any sense, but they can do great things in business.
--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837