COBOL compiler

I've, unfortunately, been forced into taking a COBOL class as a
requirement for getting my BS. (And that's just what it is, a load of
BS...) What's worse is that I can't seem to find any Free COBOL tools.
'apt-cache search cobol' returns 3 hits, all of which are documentation
utilities. Any suggestions? Or am I going to be stuck using school PC's
loaded with Windows and more proprietary software than you can shake a
warez-kiddie at?

(Most of which comes with licenses so lax and reasonable that they stop
just short of executing you and 3 generations of your family for not
including a proper copyright notice any time you use two or more letters
present in the product name in a sentence. Whoops! There goes the
family! :)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837