Re: Help Please!!

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 10:51:15AM -0400, William Bradley wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 August 2003 02:58 am, Kent West wrote:
>
> > Whoo-hoo!
>
> .... bit premature it seems. (Sigh!)
>
> > Okay, make sure that gpm is configured to repeat "raw" (either edit
> > /etc/gpm.conf, or better, re-run gpmconfig).
>
> When I set up "gpmconfig" with "fuimps" the mouse moves when I test it. When I
> get out of "gpmconfig" it still works.
>
> However when I "shutdown -r now" when it reboots the mouse is dead again.
> Thinking the gpm server is not working,

In this apparently dead state, what does 'ps ax | grep gpm' report?

> I entered "#gpm" but that did not change anything.

No, I don't think it will - see (a) below

> Then I go back to "gpmconfig" and get it going again. Sometimes it doesn't
> take on the first configuration and has to be done again and then it will
> work.

Is it actually configured to start gpm on boot? gpmconfig defaults to
(re)starting gpm when you run it, but it won't configure gpm to start
on boot.

a) Does '/etc/init.d/gpm start' (instead of running gpmconfig again) get
   it going?
b) Does 'ls -l /etc/rc?.d/*gpm*' show anything?

If (a) is 'yes' and (b) is 'no', the solution is to install a link to
start gpm on boot:

  ln -s /etc/init.d/gpm /etc/rc2.d/S20gpm

(there's also a 'Debian way' to do this which I don't know, never
having used it :-) ) (It would be nice if gpmconfig offered the option
to install/remove this link.)

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons