Re: chattr and symlinks

* Johann Spies (jspies@sun.ac.za) [030818 03:45]:
> I have a disk space problem on my ftp-server. I have moved the "dists"
> section of the debian archive to another disk and made a symlink to
> the normal mirror.
>
> The mirror script (I am using rsync) now overwrites that symlink with
> a normal directory.  I want to prevent this and want rsync to follow
> the symlink on the destination side.
>
> As I understand the rsync-manpage this is not possible.  Am I correct?

It looks like -L would do this in the other direction; if the symlink
were on the source host, the destination would get the contents of the
referent of the link in situ.

I don't know of a way to have rsync follow the link on the target side,
as you want.  One way to accomplish this, though, would be to exclude
that particular directory from the regular rsync run and then run a
separate rsync just for that directory, with the target set to the
corrected location.

good times,
Vineet
--