chattr and symlinks

I have a disk space problem on my ftp-server. I have moved the "dists"
section of the debian archive to another disk and made a symlink to
the normal mirror.

The mirror script (I am using rsync) now overwrites that symlink with
a normal directory.  I want to prevent this and want rsync to follow
the symlink on the destination side.

As I understand the rsync-manpage this is not possible.  Am I correct?

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you;
      seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened
      unto you."            Luke 11:9