Re: Good Debian-based distro

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 12:12, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 12:00:46PM -0400, tallison@tacocat.net wrote:
>
> [You seem to be breaking attributions - who said this?]
>
> > > Why can't the installer ask what the CPU is and if it's an x86 then use
> > > kudzu and if it isn't don't?  Wouldn't that work on all platforms?  Or
> > > can't an x86 CPU be reliably detected?
> >
> > It might work.
>
> It would clearly work; there's a separate installer build for every
> architecture!
>
> > But it blows off the ideology of consistency.
>
> I disagree; I think it's fine for the i386 installer to behave a little
> differently, particularly in inherently architecture-specific things
> like hardware detection. I think the debian-installer people think so
> too and will be using discover for automatic hardware detection at least
> on i386.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]

I'd also offer that unlike most other platforms, only IA-32
processor-based systems currently operates with a reasonably consistent
memory architecture but wide ranging off the shelf plug-in hardware at
this point. Compare that to M68K systems where each vendor tended to
have relatively limited add-on hardware (generally only from that
vendor,) but there were significantly different internal memory designs
from one vendor to the next. When faced with those different
considerations of the environment encountered for hardware detection, do
you doubt that it could be anything but complicated?
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org