Re: Good Debian-based distro

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:51:15 +0100
Richard Kimber <rkimber@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:09:45 +0100
> Peter Whysall <peter@guildenstern.dyndns.org> wrote:
>
> > on Mon, Aug 11, 2003, tallison@tacocat.net (tallison@tacocat.net)
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Is there a buzzword to reference?
> >
> > Yes. Portability.
> >
> > The same Debian Installer runs on 11 different architectures.
> > Knoppix doesn't.
> >
> > If a decision was made to break the installer on platforms such as
> > hppa and sparc in favour of superduper hardware detection on x86, I
> > for one would be breaking out the torches and pitchforks.
>
> Why can't the installer ask what the CPU is and if it's an x86 then
> use kudzu and if it isn't don't?  Wouldn't that work on all platforms?
>  Or
> can't an x86 CPU be reliably detected?

The installer is currently being rewritten. I went looking for a
reference page, but I don't have much time, and nothing came up quickly.
If you want to find it, here are some suggested keywords:
automatic
hardware
detection
debian
installer
--
-johann koenig
Now Playing: Bad Religion - Generator : Punk-O-Rama (Vol. 4)