Re: Best Way to Look at Streaming Video

Ross Boylan <RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org> wrote:
<snip>
> Discussion a few months ago mentioned http://marillat.free.fr/ both
> for the realplayer for Debian package (which  no longer seems to be
> there) and for mplayer (about which there were mixed comments).
>
> I see several packages providing quicktime support (xine, xmovie,
> xanim) and don't know if one is obviously better (or better at
> integrating into mozilla).
>
> Any thoughts?

marillat also offers the mplayer-mozilla plugin which allows mplayer to
be embedded into mozilla and play the filetypes supported by mplayer.
The only caveat is that it does not yet support any sort of cookies or
authentication. If that is a necessity your best bet is probably the
Crossover plugin from Codeweavers. I believe there are similar types of
plugins for Xine but I don't have any experience with them.

--Chris