Re: Best Way to Look at Streaming Video

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 10:22:19PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I wanted to look at a video on a web site that offered it in
> RealPlayer, QuickTime, and Windows Media Player format.  To my suprise
> (since I had installed RealPlayer) I couldn't, and this led to some
> questions that perhaps people here could answer.
>
> Which of these formats would be the best choice for Debian (I do have
> some windows partitions, though I don't think I've installed any of
> the recent MediaPlayer stuff)?  Ideally, I want it to work through my
> mozilla 1.4 browser, built with gcc 3.3.
>
> What are the best tools to view these formats?

My favorite media player of all time is mplayer. It is amazing! It
outshines every other media player ever conceived.

You can get the source from:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu

There are unofficial deb files somewhere on the net, but this is one
program that is worth compiling from source.

It handles windows media player natively. And with the appropriate
plugins (available on the site) it can handle quicktime and real formats
as well. The next big release (1.0 should be out any day now) will have
native quicktime (with some older native real stuff) included.

> Discussion a few months ago mentioned http://marillat.free.fr/ both
> for the realplayer for Debian package (which  no longer seems to be
> there) and for mplayer (about which there were mixed comments).

This source should have binaries of mplayer.

> I see several packages providing quicktime support (xine, xmovie,
> xanim) and don't know if one is obviously better (or better at
> integrating into mozilla).

Again there is some mozilla plugin to integrate stuff in, I usually
extract the url and feed it to mplayer. That works for me.

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>
http://www.crasseux.com