Re: other debian installer tactic?

Alfredo Valles wrote:

I know this have been discussed many times. But I still not happy. (Sorry)

Why is it that debian can not take a shortcut in the path for having a quick desktop installation?
<snip>

I know that this wouldn't work in all platforms (most surely only in x86) but even if it is a very limited solution I think it worth been a valid debian subproject on his own.
Wonderful goal! But what you're asking for is a different distribution, which has been done already: Corel, Libranet, Knoppix, Xandros, etc. Debian, by its very definition, does not work only on one platform. Anything that is based on Debian, but only works on one platform, is not Debian. You're free to develop your own distro, or hire/persuade someone to do it, or to acquire another distro that does what you want, such as those mentioned above, but the bottom line is that you're asking for another distro, not Debian. You're free to consider these other distros as "valid Debian subprojects", but Debian itself supports mulitiple architectures. Anything less is not Debian, and the "Debian developers" are unlikely to spend their time and effort working on an installer that's not Debian (and I applaud them for that!).

All you'd need to do is hire/persuade programmers to write a custom installation routine that satisfies you, and tie it into a distribution that is otherwise pure Debian. Then slap a name on that puppy, such as "Installian", and put up a website where it can be downloaded. Ask the Debian folks to put a link on the Debian page to your site, and you've got what you want. But again, the Debian developers are too busy to spend their time/effort on this sub-project (if I may speak on their behalf), so it's gonna have to be done by someone else, and it's not going be called "Debian", 'cause it ain't Debian if it only works for one platform.

A lot of people would like this probably.

--
Kent West (westk@acu.edu)