Re: cannot install perl-doc

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 22:49:57 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

>   apt-cache policy perl

rock:/home/dude# apt-cache policy perl
perl:
  Installed: 5.8.0-17
  Candidate: 5.8.0-17
  Version Table:
 *** 5.8.0-17 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     5.6.1-8.3 0
        500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
     5.6.1-7 0
        500 http://208.185.25.38 stable/main Packages

thats what it says on my installation. so i can see that the version of
perl i have must be from somewhere else. i recently installed gnome2.2
backports, thats the only time i remember i went somewhere other than
stable. could perl have come in from there? i've got to check.

> This shows that there is a security update for perl and so I am going
> to get the version from security and not the version from the main
> archive.  It has been updated for a security fix.  My machine's
> /etc/apt/sources.list file shows the following two lines, in addition
> to others too.
>
>   deb http://gluck.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
>   deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
>
> system installation.  perl-5.8 out of testing is perl-5.8.0-19.  That
> would certainly meet the dependency of perl-doc that perl be >=
> 5.6.1-8.3.  If you got the version from testing/unstable then at one
> time you modified your /etc/apt/sources.list file to pull from that
> location and did the update.

as you can see i have 5.8.0-17. so i am not sure what the problem is. but
would it work if i tried to grab perl-doc by temporarily moving to
wherever from i installed the base?

> So now this seems really strange.  Installing perl-doc wants perl >=
> 5.6.1-8.3 so you are using a sources.list line that says any of
> security, testing, or unstable as all three of the versions there want
> that same dependency.  But in all of those cases the version of perl
> in the same depot is fine to go with that and should also be installed
> along with perl-doc.  So it is something else.  Knowing where perl is
> coming from would be useful and the 'apt-cache policy perl' above
> would show that.

i guess thats clear now. i would be happy to move back to 5.6 if only i am
allowed to do so. i cannot simply uninstall perl (a lot of dependencies
show up and i am not very uncomfortable forcing.) so i want a way to get a
stable version of perl and perl-doc from where i am right now. could you
recommend a one?

thanks

-kp