Re: Help Please!!

William Bradley wrote:

>I have installed Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 rl "Woody" Official i386.

<snip>

>The mouse did not work. It is an off the
>shelf Logitech PS/2 mouse with a wheel. There is nothing wrong with the
>mouse, I tested it on the Windows, which will dual boot on the same machine.

<snip>

>Following is my XF86Config-4 set up for the mouse:
>
>Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
>         Driver          "mouse"
>         Option          "CorePointer"
>         Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
>         Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
>         Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
>         Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
>End Section
>
>Section "ServerLayout"
>        [... more blah ...]
>        InputDevice "Configured Mouse" "CorePointer"
>        [... more blah ...]
>EndSection
>
>gpm was installed by me but has since been removed. The result either way was
>the same.
>
>If I enter at the command line: cat /dev/psaux <enter> then move the mouse, it
>will write garbage to the screen with the movement of the mouse.

I'd recommend getting the mouse to work with gpm first, as it's simpler to diagnose. So, first "apt-get install gpm". As part of the install, that'll run "gpmconfig", and you'll need to specify the mouse location to be "/dev/psaux", the type to be "imps2", and the repeat type to be "raw" (assuming you keep gpm, so it'll repeat the raw data to the X mouse driver, which will also entail configuring X to look to "/dev/gpmdata" instead of "/dev/psaux").

I know you said "the result either way [with gpm or not] was the same", but let us know the results again after doing this.

--
Kent