Re: Help me please with TAR

Hi,

* Piotrek <piotrek_gasi@interia.pl> [030825 16:14]:
> Hello,
>
> I am quite a new user of Debian, so my question would sound a little bit
> stupid, but I've got a problem with TAR. I am using a testing version of
> Debian. I have upgraded TAR to 1.13.25-5 version and as I try to unpack
> tar.bz2 files  with " tar xjf ... " I get such a message:
>
> tar (child): bzip2: Cannot exec: No such file or directory
> tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting no
> tar: Child returned status 2
> tar: Error exit delayed from previous error

You are correctly using the "j" flag to call bzip2 to decompress the
file before untaring it. The error seems to indicate that bzip2 is not
installed on your system. Solution: install it!

apt-get install bzip2

Cheers,

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux twofish 2.6.0-test3-looxt93c1 i686 GNU/Linux