Re: [SLUG] Perl configured, but Apt tells me it's not.

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 01:00:56PM +1200, Andrew McNaughton wrote:
> Been there before.  Debian's routing failure to keep anything like up to
> date with perl versions is my only serious gripe with Debian.

Testing and unstable are both perfectly up to date with perl. Stable is
just as up to date with perl as it is with anything else; that is, not
(but that's good; when perl 5.8.0 was introduced to unstable it broke a
LOT of packages due to the change in UTF-8 semantics, now reverted, and
in the first place required a transition plan far too complex for any
reasonable stable distribution).

> In the past I've installed (from source) a more recent verison of perl
> than what Debian used.  The problems with apt-get et. al. can be dealt
> with by making sure that you're newly installed perl knows to look in the
> directories where debian's stuff is installed.

I strongly recommend against doing that. Binary compatibility is often
broken between upstream releases of perl, and at that point you might as
well throw out the entire Debian perl dependency tree, which isn't
simple. Instead, leave the Debian perl packages in place for use by
Debian packages, and use your locally compiled perl for your own code.

Cheers,