Perl configured, but Apt tells me it's not.

Hi,

	I'm running in console mode, with 'apt-get update' & Mutt
functional, after mucking up a file transfer between partitions.

'Tux:~# apt-get install -f -u dist-upgrade --fix-broken'

aborted with
"Debconf: Perl may be unconfigured. Can't locate strict.pm in @INC ..."

I managed to get Lynx working by moving a missing file into its correct
place and downloaded and configured Perl 5.8.0 from www.cpan.org
following
the instructions in /home. The only thing I did not do was 'make
distclean' & 'make realclean' as I had not built Perl before.

However, when I now try

'Tux:~# apt-get install -f -u dist-upgrade --fix-broken'

I get "Perl may be unconfigured, can't locate Debconf/Log.pm in @INC
(@INC contains /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0)."

... but I find

./usr/perl5/Debconf/Log.pm where I inspected it via vi !

How do I get

'Tux:~# apt-get install -f -u dist-upgrade --fix-broken'

to work in order to get the system  working again ?

I've run out of ideas at this point.

Adam Bogacki
Email: afb@paradise.net.nz