Re: Today mozilla-firebird Wants To Remove KDE

Frank Gevaerts wrote:

If you go to a different release (i.e. from woody/stable to
sarge/testing), you need to run "apt-get dist-upgrade". Pay attention to
what it proposes to do. You may need to put some packages on hold.
Here is what I encounter when I attempt a dist-upgrade:

debian:~# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... failed
 kde: Depends: kdebase-audiolibs but it is not going to be installed or
               kdebase3-audiolibs but it is not installable
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

To my knowledge, I have not held any packages (I don't know how to do
that explicitly, anyway).  Here is what is reported about the two packages
mentioned in the error message above:

debian:~# apt-get install kdebase-audiolibs
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Sorry, kdebase-audiolibs is already the newest version.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 399 not upgraded.

debian:~# apt-get install kdebase3-audiolibs
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package kdebase3-audiolibs has no available version, but exists in the database.
This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
of sources.list
E: Package kdebase3-audiolibs has no installation candidate

This is confusing to me, and I really don't know what to attempt next.

I once did an "apt-get update" with the following sources.list entry, but I
never did any upgrades from it:

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

Instead, I have tried to go to "testing", since I really want mozilla-firebird.
Instead of the above entry in sources.list, I have been using the following:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

I definitely have done "apt-get update" several times since the switch. Is it
possible that the switch has left some cruft in my APT database?  I don't
think so, but I am a newbie.

Thanks,
David Crane