Re: Mouse Problems

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 11:44:55PM -0400, William Bradley wrote:
> On Saturday 23 August 2003 08:06 pm, you wrote:

I am posting this back to the list as the new symptoms you relate
below are outside my experience. In general it is far better to post
to the list than to contact individual members; if you're still having
trouble posting directly to the mailing list perhaps you could provide
the details of what goes wrong when you post and I can forward them to
the list.

> There was a "Generic Mouse" also listed in the XF86Config-4. I blocked this
> off. It was suggested that I do the following also, from Sebastian Kapfer:
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>         [... more blah ...]
>         InputDevice "Configured Mouse" "CorePointer"
>         [... more blah ...]
> EndSection
>
> This section also had a Generic Mouse line which I blocked. The line about the
> "Configured Mouse" was also there, all I did was add "CorePointer"
>
> The mouse still did not move. What is more the graphics got sporadic.
> Sometimes it would boot with the graphic login, other times it would boot to
> the command line. When it booted graphically, I could not escape from
> X-Windows with Ctrl/Alt/Backspace. It simply went back to the graphic login
> screen.
>
> >   cat /dev/psaux
>
> When I tried the above before the above alterations, I got the mouse to write
> garbage to the screen. Now when I do # cat /dev/psaux it says there is not
> such device.
>
> Which of course means that #echo -ne '\377' /dev/psaux came up with the same
> result.

I am afraid I have no idea as to why the above changes should have
such peculiar results. The "sporadic" bit is especially baffling. It
suggests that your system is deeply broken in some obscure manner...
even possibly a memory fault - does memtest86 report anything?

The disappearance of /dev/psaux is equally strange - this is supported
by the kernel and has nothing intrinsically to do with X. Has its /dev
entry changed? It should look like

crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root      10,   1 Aug 24 17:29 /dev/psaux

If not try deleting it and making a new one:

  rm /dev/psaux
  mknod /dev/psaux c 10 1
  chmod a+rw /dev/psaux

Again I'm suspecting some deep illness... are there any strange
messages (disk i/o errors perhaps) in the logs?

Anyone else got any ideas?

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons