Re: Mouse Problems

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 03:49:07PM -0400, William Bradley wrote:
> Pigeon wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 06:10:00PM -0400, William Bradley wrote:
> My reply on the news server was rejected by their moderation robot. Don't know
> how the first one got there. I did sign up but...
>
> So I am repeating my reply here.

News or mailing list? The gateway from the mailing list to the
newsgroup is one-way only, so posts to the mailing list show up on the
newsgroup, but posts to the newsgroup don't show up on the mailing
list. I and apparently most others here only read the mailing list, so
if you post to the newsgroup only, many people don't see your post.
I'm going to post this back to the mailing list, and CC you in case of
problems; I am far from being the only one who can help!

> Thank you for your help,

No prob.

> > > I have just installed Debian (the latest, I forget the number) and got it
> > > going graphically with Window Maker. Can't get the mouse to work though.
> > > It is installed on /dev/psaux and the pointer is on the screen but
> > > immobile. This particular machine is dualed with Windows 98, so I looked
> > > up the mouse and though it is a Logitech mouse, Windows lists it as a
> > > PS/2 mouse.
> >
> > The version of X in Debian stable has a bug initialising the mouse and
> > dual booting is one of the situations likely to show it up. Try
> >
> >   echo -ne '\377' > /dev/psaux
> >
> > from the console before you start X.
>
> Nothing happens, it simply returns to the prompt.

Sorry. That's what you'd expect to see. What it does is to send a
reset code to the mouse, so when you restart X the mouse can be
initialised properly. The bug I'm talking about involves the earlier
versions of X not sending this code.

> > This bug was still present in X 4.2.0 but had been fixed by 4.2.1.7;
> > I'm not sure how 4.2.1 stands.
> >
> > Also check the mouse configuration section in your
> > /etc/X11/XF86Config[-4]; it should look something like
> >

> > # **********************************************************************
> > # Core Pointer's InputDevice section
> > # **********************************************************************
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> >
> > # Identifier and driver
> >
> >     Identifier        "Mouse1"
> >     Driver    "mouse"
> >     Option "Protocol"    "PS/2"
> >     Option "Device"      "/dev/psaux"

> Section "InputDevice"
>
>         Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
>         Driver          "mouse"
>         Option          "CorePointer"
>         Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
>         Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
>         Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
>         Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"

Looks reasonable. It might be worth trying with the basic "PS/2"
protocol instead of the Intellimouse "ImPS/2" protocol, just to see if
you get pointer movement at least. You will probably need to do the
echo -ne '\377' > /dev/psaux trick when changing protocols.

> > > When I ran "dmesg" it showed the Com 1 was listed as tty00
> >
> > ttyS0, surely?
>
> I ran dmesg again and it says the following:
>
> ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq=4) is a 16550A

Fine. But as I said if you have a PS/2 mouse the COM ports don't come
into it. The interfaces for the PS/2 port and the COM port are
entirely independent pieces of hardware, and a problem with one won't
affect the other.

You can check the basic mouse hardware is working by doing

  cat /dev/psaux

from the console - you should see loads of crud when you move the mouse.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons