Re: PHP4 for Apache2: when ?

Yves Goergen <nospam.list@unclassified.de> writes:

>  i have seen some time ago (as i was quite new to debian/linux) that
>  debian packages are far not current or partially even over some years
>  old. so i have decided for myself, to install only some uncritical
>  packages like gcc/compilers and some other things like bash or
>  zip. everything else, server related stuff like apache, php, mysql,
>  exim (still 3.x!!), i'll download the latest source and compile it by
>  myself. works pretty fine so far. and i have the advantage to
>  configure some things as i need them, that only can be set at compile
>  time.
>
>  and, even if there will be php4 support for apache 2 (i'm still with
>  apache 1, because of a necessary setuid module) by debian, i guess
>  you wouldn't really want to use it. seems, they'll not update php
>  before php5. i mean, php 4.1.2 (from debian 3.0 stable) is - how old?
>  - at least a year now. and since then, many new useful features have
>  beed added and quite some bugs were fixed. (ok, there came new bugs,
>  but hey, that's progress of software. if we never update anything, we
>  could have stayed with our 486s!)

I can understand your point but mine is different in which I _only_
want debian packages on those systems. Why do I need a PHP4 for my
Apache2 server is related to subversion which is provided with a
apache2 dev_svn module. I know I don't need PHP for this but my problem
is I also use a piece of software called papaan which does a heavy use
of XML and PHP.

I don't want to have 2 different versions of my Apache here and so I
want to migrate all stuff running under Apache 1.x to Apache2 and so
forth I need a PHP4 version for it.

That said I have read into the TODO.Debian there will be a Apache2
support but I didn't see anyrhing about this since ages so ...

What I am sure is I only want to install Debian related stuff on my 2
systems and don't want to have to build software from sources. If I
wanted to have from-source-softwate, I would have chose something else
than Debian :)

zeDek
--
Welcome to your future with Microsoft; where your every action will be
regulated by computers you do not control.