Re: libc6 optimizations

Manolis Tzanidakis wrote:
[20030822] Mental Patient <mental@neverlight.com> wrote:

Earlier today I was toying with the idea of recompiling libc6 with a bunch of optimization flags. I did an apt-get source libc6 and added the flags I wanted. I built binaries via "fakeroot ./debian/rules binary" and did a dpkg -i on the resulting deb files. Well, the install hung and failed. ls would segfault, ssh would still work. Things were... broken.

Don't even think to compile glibc with O3 or Os. It breaks
baddly ;) Debian is quite optimized and runs really fast although it's compiled for i386. If you want to speed things up more try compiling kde, xfree, gnome, mozilla etc.

I noticed. :) I was using -O2, but like I said in a previous post... I believe the root of my trouble to be other CFLAGS. Thanks for the feedback tho. This was more of an educational thing than anything else. I've used optimized packages of all kinds of stuff. Honestly I dont find debians performance to be an issue in the least. It was just boredom on the rampage :)