SOLVED: Re: startx fails - PAM problem?

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 06:55:27AM -0400, Anita Lewis wrote:
> I just installed debian on another partition. I have Sarge going on one
> partition, but am starting from scratch for learning purposes - and to make
> proper notes this time.
>
> xdm started right up and I could login as root and user (ajlewis2) Then I
> decided to mount my /home partition and use that.  I deleted ajlewis2 and
> added it again using the same uid I have on Sarge.  All is well and I can
> login as ajlewis2 at console, but not with X.  It looks like there is a
> problem with authenticating.
>
> I tried deleting and adding the user again after mounting /home, but that
> didn't work either.  After umounting /home and trying to use X with
> ajlewis2, it no longer works either.
>
> I tried making a new user and that one can use X just fine.
>
> Any suggestions how I might use my /home partition on both installs of
> Debian and be able to use X on both as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Anita

Well, shoot.  It had nothing to do with .Xauthority or PAM.  I had .xsession
set to start icewm-gnome and the new install didn't have it installed.  I
changed it to start icewm and it works just fine.  The light went on after
I had been at work a little while today.  For some reason I was just running
though in my mind the process when X starts and the answer came.

Anita