startx fails - PAM problem?

I just installed debian on another partition. I have Sarge going on one
partition, but am starting from scratch for learning purposes - and to make
proper notes this time.

xdm started right up and I could login as root and user (ajlewis2) Then I
decided to mount my /home partition and use that.  I deleted ajlewis2 and
added it again using the same uid I have on Sarge.  All is well and I can
login as ajlewis2 at console, but not with X.  It looks like there is a
problem with authenticating.

I tried deleting and adding the user again after mounting /home, but that
didn't work either.  After umounting /home and trying to use X with
ajlewis2, it no longer works either.

I tried making a new user and that one can use X just fine.

Any suggestions how I might use my /home partition on both installs of
Debian and be able to use X on both as well.

Thanks,
Anita