Re: bonnie++: disastrous RAID 1/5 results

martin f krafft wrote:

> I would still appreciate comments to the following:
>
>> > Try with the defaults values for chunk size, algorithm and ext3 stride.
>>
>> Which are? I could not see any.

Did you read my other mail? With defaults I mean that what you get, if
you don't use any special commandline parameters. Though, if you are
concerned about performance, it would be wise to read e.g. the Software
RAID Howto (which talks a bit about chunk size, stride and so
on) and to experiment with these parameters.

>> > Use an external journal for ext3 that is located on a RAID1.
>>
>> Does this really increase performance if the RAID1 would be on the
>> same disk(s)? I note that RAID1 give absolutely no speed improvement
>> on writes. RAID5 does a little. And journals are more written than
>> read, no?

It wouldn't increase the speed if the RAID1 is on the same disks, but if
you have a different disk set you should see an increase. For very high
performance stuff people put the journal on a battery backed solid state
disk - very expensive though.

Cheers,
Juri