Re: bonnie++: disastrous RAID 1/5 results

also sprach Juri Haberland <juri@koschikode.com> [2003.08.21.1034 +0200]:
> The first thing I notice is that you compare two different
> filesystems: reiserfs and ext3. It is a known fact that reiserfs
> is in most workloads *much* faster than ext3.

Right, but while I had zero dataloss on ext3 filesystems so far,
I have been screwed over by reiserfs a couple of times.

What may be interesting to note is that `hdparm -T` reports about
370Mb/s on the RAID, but only about 260Mb/s on the non-RAID system.

> How are your three (four) disks connected? Do they all have
> a seperate IDE channel or do some of them share one?

The disk on the fast machine is master to a slave disk.
The first disk in the RAID is (unfortunately) master to a slave
CD-ROM, which is, however, unused.

> Do all disks have DMA turned on?

This might be the problem. I turn DMA on, always, in /etc/inittab.
But it doesn't work. Check this:

ailab:~# hdparm -d1 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

So what's going on here???

> Try with the defaults values for chunk size, algorithm and ext3 stride.

Which are? I could not see any.

> Use an external journal for ext3 that is located on a RAID1.

Does this really increase performance if the RAID1 would be on the
same disk(s)? I note that RAID1 give absolutely no speed improvement
on writes. RAID5 does a little. And journals are more written than
read, no?

`. `'`