Re: Gnome2.2 backport and XFree86 4.3 on woody [was R:e XFree86 4.3 in Woody]

On 21 Aug 2003 09:07:39 -0400
James Strandboge <jstrand1@rochester.rr.com> wrote:

> The main way I advertised the backport was through this list and
> debianplanet.org.  Both of those have these instructions.  As for
> others, I would like them to have proper instructions, but there isn't
> much I can do.

Here are the instructions you posted earlier in this thread:

apt-get update && apt-get -u dist-upgrade
apt-get install gnome-core
and optionally:
apt-get install gnome gnome-fifth-toe gdm

Here are the instructions from your post that is linked to the announcement at debian planet:

apt-get update
apt-get install gnome-core gdm gtk2-engines*
For the gnome2.2 development packages, you can do:
apt-get install gnome-core-devel
And to pull in various other pieces of gnome software, do:
apt-get install gnome
...You can optionally do an 'apt-get -u dist-upgrade' which will pull in
all the development support packages that were needed to compile these
(eg backported automake, debconf, etc).

Are those sets of instructions functionally the same?

> [Fifth Toe]is a collection of packages.  I backport
> what is interesting to me (as maintainer, I have that right), and what
> others bring to my attention that I think won't hurt anything and be
> beneficial to others.  I maintain security updates, and often point
> releases.  I do NOT follow sid release for release though-- unless there
> is a bug fix.

Not being subscribed to either of these lists until the beginning of this conversation, my education on the subject of Fifth Toe began when I saw the following (optional) line in your instructions:

apt-get install gnome gnome-fifth-toe gdm

I didn't know what Fifth Toe was. I went to http://5toe.lyrical.net/ and saw:

"Fifth Toe is a selective collection of applications that use GNOME technologies. All the applications in a Fifth Toe release are stable, maintained, and conform to the GNOME Human Interface Guide ( HIG )...The Fifth Toe release is a periodic release of the applications that have The Fifth Toe release team is attempting to move closer to a monthly release cycle." (sic)

So, as a user of Woody who was becoming part of this via a backport (already somewhere between stable and unstable in Debian terms), I was having trouble sorting out the relationship between what I was capable of using on my system and what the Fifth Toe project considers stable (in Gnome terms). Plus, if the Fifth Toe is going to have monthly releases, did that then mean that with this Fifth Toe backport, I would be able to download and use next month's Fifth Toe releases? Would they be cycled into the Fifth Toe backport server? After some searching today, I found
http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2003/debian-gtk-gnome-200304/msg00170.html
which clarified things somewhat, though it doesn't completely clarify the issue. Of course it's at your discretion which packages you want to backport; I just want to be clear on what the backport can do and what it can't do.

> > and certain widgets
>
> > within the sylpheed configuration GUI do not respond properly do mouse clicks.
>

> Can you be more specific?  I just tested darn near every widget and it
> works fine here.

I was talking about the arrows in the configure filter settings, but after re-installing the backport, they work, for whatever reason.

> I backported sawfish-- it works fine with gnome2.2.  As for gnome1.4
> packages, they should be fine since the libraries they depend on can be
> installed in parallel.  In practice, two rather large gnome1.4 apps--
> gnucash 1.8 and evolution 1.2 worked fine under the backport.

I already had gnucash and evolution (but I didn't know it yet) when I tried to install each of them with aptitude. In each case, aptitude told me I already had the package in question, and then offered to remove others. Do you know why?

 corinthian:/home/michael# aptitude install evolution
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree
Reading extended state information... Done
Sorry, evolution is already installed at the requested version (1.4.3-0jds4)
The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
  kdebase-libs kdelibs3 kdelibs3-bin libkonq3 libqt2
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 36.0MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/e/d/v/action/?] n
Abort.

Thanks for the help with sylpheed.

mbc