Re: Gnome2.2 backport and XFree86 4.3 on woody [was R:e XFree86 4.3 in Woody]

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 05:28, Michael Bennett Cohn wrote:

> > What is the output of each of these commands?
> >
> > dpkg -l|grep freetype
> > dpkg -l|grep fontconfig
> > dpkg -l|grep xlibs
> > dpkg -l|grep libxft2
> > dkpg -l|grep xserver
> >
> > Jamie Strandboge
>
> Since our last exchange, I have had some help from a friend on #debian in removing the

>  incorrect xfree86 packages. However, I'm not sure how much more has to be done. Here are

>  the results you asked for:
>
> corinthian:/home/michael# dpkg -l|grep freetype
> ii  libfreetype6   2.0.9-1        FreeType 2 font engine, shared library files

good

> corinthian:/home/michael# dpkg -l|grep xlibs
> ii  xlibs          4.2.1-3.bunk.5 X Window System client libraries

It looks like you have Adrian Bunk's packages installed.  As mentioned
previously, his packages are incompatible with the gnome2.2 backport.
Make sure Adrian's lines are out of sources.list (and mine are in), then
do:

apt-get clean (or just remove the xlibs deb from
/var/cache/apt/archives)
apt-get update
dpkg -r --force-depends xlibs
apt-get -f install

This should install xlibs from my backport.

> corinthian:/home/michael# dpkg -l|grep libxft2
> ii  libxft2        2.1-7woody4    advanced font drawing library for X
> corinthian:/home/michael# dpkg -l|grep fontconfig
> ii  fontconfig     2.1-14woody5   generic font configuration library
> ii  libfontconfig1 2.1-14woody5   generic font configuration library (shared l
> corinthian:/home/michael# dpkg -l|grep xserver

good, these look to be from my backport

> ii  xserver-common 4.2.1-3.woody3 files and utilities common to all X servers
> ii  xserver-xfree8 4.2.1-3.woody3 the XFree86 X server

these look fine (have same version as in mine).

Seeing that you had Adrian's packages on your system, I don't know what
the state of you system.  At this point, you can try:

apt-get -u dist-upgrade
apt-get install gnome-core

and see if it works.  If not, do:
COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l|grep bunk

and remove those packages and try again.  Remember, to minimize proplems
have only my backport line in sources.list, along with official woody
and the woody security updates (some of my packages depend on security
updates).

Jamie

--
Email:        jstrand1@rochester.rr.com