Re: Best way to upgrade a single app

David Corbin wrote:
> I have a production system, that I do NOT want to migrate to testing/unstable.
> But, I would like to upgrade one particular package (spamassassin, in this
> case) to a more recent version.

Since it is spamassassin you are ready to go with Duncan's backport
area.  Put this in your /etc/apt/sources.list file and you should be
able to keep abreast of spamassassin upgrades while staying on stable.

  deb http://people.debian.org/~duncf/debian/ woody main

Note that 2.54 is in the backport area.  You may see that 2.55 is
current.  But do not feel the need to upgrade to 2.55.  There was not
any rule changes between them and so no effort was spent to backport
that one.  Only small documentation changes in 2.55 so 2.54 is just as
good at spam filtering.

> What is the recommended way of doing this?  Should I just download and build
> the upstream package?  Can pinning help me?

Pinning does not sound like what you want here.  Normally you would
want to backport the unstable package yourself.  But in this case it
is already done for you.

Also in general look at http://www.apt-get.org for packages other
people have already backported.  Asking here in d-u will often turn up
backports for particular packages.

Bob

  Here's Theo's release summary:

  2.55 is a minor bug fix release of mostly documentation updates.  If 2.54
  is working for you, there is no need to update.  Bugs fixed in this
  release:

  - Added documentation that "score 0" disables a rule

  - Fixed documentation typo that was saying "spamassassin -c" which
    should
    have been "spamassassin -C"

  - perl 5.005 needed a umask parameter when calling mkdir() which was
    left out of a call in 2.54's spamd

  - Makefile.PL could throw warnings if there are no Razor modules
    installed

  - Debian Linux was having some build issues

  - The spamd/redhat-rc-script.sh file didn't specify "condrestart" in
    the usage display

  --j. (well, --tvd. actually ;)