Re: Best way to upgrade a single app

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 03:50:11 +0200, David Corbin wrote:

> I have a production system, that I do NOT want to migrate to
> testing/unstable. But, I would like to upgrade one particular package
> (spamassassin, in this case) to a more recent version.
>
> What is the recommended way of doing this?  Should I just download and
> build the upstream package?  Can pinning help me?

I suggest downloading the current sources from testing or unstable and
rebuilding on your box using dpkg-buildpackage. This should work for 80%
or more of all packages in testing and unstable. (The other 20% may be
confused by different dependancies) This way you get .debs for the new
version that you can manage with dpkg.

> P.S. I realize that upgrading any package might require upgrades to
> several other packages.

Downloading the binary that's alreay in sid/sarge will require updating
GLIBC, so I suggest not doing this.

My key was last signed 6/10/2003. If you use GPG, *please* see me about