Re: How to upgrade kernel and another question about nvidia driver

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:20:25 -0400 (EDT)
Hooman <a_linux_newbie@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
> I just made my X-server work with the help of some
> people in the list. Now I have other questions.
> I have installed woody on my machine and I think the
> kernel version is 2.2.20. Now here are the questions:
> 1. What is the latest stable kernel?
> 2. Where can I get it and how should I update the
> kernel?
> 3. I am still using the old nv driver for my nvidia
> RIVA TNT2 graphics card with framebuffer set to off.
> If I want to update to new nvidia driver, which files
> will I need and what is the procedure for changing the driver?

The latest kernel-source package in stable is 2.4.18.

If you intend to compile your own kernel, you can easily get
kernel-source-2.4.20 or kernel-source-2.4.21 from unstable, and use your
normal programs to compile and install it.

You don't need to abandon debian source packages to make a kernel later than
2.4.18.

Kevin