Re: raid question

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Rudy Gevaert wrote:

> Hi Alvin,
>
> I actually got it wrong in my original post:  the first disk is on
> hdb.  hda is a little disk that gets booted (boot and / are mounted on
> it).  The disks in the raid don't get recognized by the bios. (I have
> tried everything...).

the bios will typically boot off hda or hdb or hdc or hdd
	- check that the boot sequence inthe bios matches your list of
	disks and cdrom and fd

> My first aim is to put /usr /var /home /data /archive in raid.

personally... i prefer "user data" ( /home ) in raid5 ...
and rest of the os and system (on a different disk )  is just plain old
non-raid
	- but i have a blank spare disk ready to go in an instant
	to replace a dead/dying system disk

even better to put the data on a whole new box...
	- 2 different servers for "one server"

	( if one dies, or power supply goes bonkers, the other server
	( should survive ... along with bad memory faults that erases
	( disks free of charge when e2fscsk tries to clean up your disk
	( due to what it thinks are bad inodes in its bad memory

> /data and /archive are already in raid (without data, that data is on
> an other machine).

only if its partition type is "FD" .. otherwise its not

> An other question.  When I want to put the /usr and /var in the raid
> is it ok if I do it this way:
>

> - boot with linux single
> - backup /usr/ and /var and put on e.g. one of the partions already in
>   raid

assuming that /usr and /var are on its own partitions
	- make sure its "FD" partition type

> - make the raid for the /usr and /var
> - mount them and put the data back

restore from "backup" :-)

> - change /etc/fstab
> - unmount
> - reboot

sounds fair ...

than start leaving disks disconnected and see what breaks
	- test each disk .. that you can survive its failure

- i say spend the time now to test the "raid setup" now..
  vs spending the time later trying to recover lost files
  from a raid subsystem that wasn't tested properly

c ya
alvin