Re: OT: whinging (was Re: rms on debian : background noise)

cr wrote:
Hmm, I rarely heard it used in England (though I haven't lived there for 30+ years), but I've heard it used all the time here in New Zealand, I thought it was a Kiwi-ism.

Mark wrote:
Whinge has been in common usage for as long as I can recall here (UK).
Probably the thing to do is for someone with access to check the OED for
the etymological references.

I'd agree with both of you :-) It certainly gets used here in the UK but the archetypical use must be the Antipodean phrase 'whinging poms'.
Is that Kiwi or Aussie?

Cheers, Dave

PS  For any yanks who don't know the word, 'poms' is equivalent to 'limeys'