Re: KDE 3.x

Jens Wannenmacher wrote:

Hi,

does anyone know how to install KDE 3.x on sarge (2003-07-27)?
I can't find any backport for the testing tree...

Thanks and regards

Jens
Here's how I'd do it:

vim /etc/apt/sources.list

:1,$ s/testing/unstable/g
:wq

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

:)

The pinning in other posts is probably what you want. A back-port to testing makes little sense to me, but I don't know much yet. Just don't expect pinning to always be your frend. I pinned from stable to testing for X once, and all my libraries upgraded so all my development tools were uninstalled. I ended up doing dist-upgrade rather than chasing down everything that needed to be pinned. Later I just reinstalled right to unstable.

Jacob
jacob@cachevalley.com