Re: Turn on the service

Colin Watson wrote:

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 10:14:05AM +0200, Jon Haugsand wrote:
* Mike Mueller
On Friday 15 August 2003 13:31, Victory wrote:
How to install and turn on/off rsh, telnet and ftp server/service for
Debian 3.0r1??? I am new to Debian
any reason not to choose ssh and scp for remote access and file transfer?
One reason is to enable lazy windowists to connect to the computer if
they need.

Pointing them to http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
shouldn't take long, even for the laziest.

PuTTY is awesome if you're stuck on Windows! (Well, a cygwin X session has it's obvious merits as well, but copying text from notepad to X isn't one of them).

Unfortunatly I have to say that I know a few who _are_ technical and very apt windows users but they couldn't figure out pscp or psftp... They wanted CuteFTP to work because despite their prowess in DOS with .bat files, they had issues using a CLI copy/ftp client. I still don't know if I should file it under lazy or stubborn or what.

Jacob
jacob@cachevalley.com