Re: Fetchmail stuck on bad messages

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 02:56:37PM +0100, Pigeon wrote:
| On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 12:57:59AM -0400, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| > procmail can do things that exim can't (for example, changing a
| > message via a filter, such as spamassassin, and then making delivery
| > decisions based on the external program's output).
|
| With apologies for contradicting the exim guru, exim can do this with
| a little help from the shell. My Exim filter sends any mail without a
| spambayes header to a script, and then stops processing. The script
| pipes the mail through spambayes and pipes the output from spambayes
| into exim -bm. On this pass exim filters on the spambayes header and
| delivers the mail to 'new', 'dubious' and 'spam' boxes as appropriate.
| I handle stripping the adverts out of yahoo list traffic the same way.

| The fact that the message passes through exim twice is kind of clunky,

Uh-huh.

| but it works fine and is easy to set up.

I didn't mention that sort of workaround because it is more
complicated (violates the KISS principle) than the same task using a
program designed to do such things (such as procmail or maildrop), but

(FYI, FWIW) I do have one way of implementing such a kludge
(system-wide) documented at
    http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/config_docs/exim-spamassassin

-D

--
The light of the righteous shines brightly,
but the lamp of the wicked is snuffed out.

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/