Re: Woody & M$ dhcp

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 07:17:36PM -0300, ogulla@uonbi.ac.ke wrote:
| Hi all,
| Got this debian beast running **illegally** on the company network. My
| problem is that everytime I've got to reboot it, the dhcp server running
| on M$ NT, assigns the NIC a proper IP address but overwrites my
| resolv.conf with something like "KSL\000".

Nice.  No problem, as long as you know what the correct DNS settings
are for that network.

Another similar situation is my machine at home.  It connects via
RoadRunner, which naturally uses DHCP.  RR's DHCP server provides
correct DNS information, if you want to use RR's DNS servers.  Instead
I want to use my own DNS server running locally.

In both situations the solution is the same; edit /etc/dhclient.conf
to include the following lines (but adjust the parameters for your
network) :
    supersede  domain-name "dman13.dyndns.org" ;
    supersede  domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1 ;

| Secondly, once in a while I'm forced to unplug the network cable to detach
| the machine from the network whenever the IT guys undertake an audit. All
| applications continue to function well but get /var/log/syslog filled up
| with dhclient-2.2.x error messages

I don't know how to change dhclient's logging settings (I've never had
the need to).  You can probably find out the details by reading the
documentation in /usr/share/doc/dhcp-client or at
http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP/

| while some other app keeps writing "-- MARK --" in /var/log/messages.

This is done by the kernel.  (or perhaps syslogd)  This occurs once
every 20 minutes.  The reason is so that 1) you know the system is
still functioning and 2) if the system crashes, you can estimate the
time of the crash even if no other application logs anything by
observing the timestamp of the last "MARK".

HTH,
-D

--
The light of the righteous shines brightly,
but the lamp of the wicked is snuffed out.

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/