Re: Hardware

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 06:01:15PM +0100, Pigeon wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 02:36:28AM +1200, Edward Murrell wrote:
> >
> > As for ATi. Go with nVidia, same yourself the pain.
>
> I would point out that while "My ATI 9000 isn't working" has come up a
> few times on the list recently, "My NVidia isn't working" comes up all
> the time.
>
> <rant type="ideological">
> With NVidia you have a choice of open-source drivers which are crappy
> because NVidia won't release enough information to make them not
> crappy, or NVidia's own drivers which are binary-only closed-source
> and sit like a cancerous growth deep in the bowels of your system.
> Yuck, yuck, yuck. Don't buy anything from NVidia. Support
> open-source-friendly hardware manufacturers, go with ATI.
> </rant>

My idea exactly. I asked for some opinions on ATI Radeon cards on
debian-laptop. Basically, they all work, including the 9000. That one
needs XFree 4.3 and the newest DRI, but it works and it's all open
source, so it will continue to work, no matter what.

Just as an aside on closed source drivers: the drivers for my ESS modem
were revoked by ESS just before I could download them. Never bothered to
try to find people who already had them... This happed some years ago,
but I never got my modem to work after that, :-(

David

--
Happy Birthday, Debian!
August 16, 1993