Re: EnsonIQ 1370, KDE, USB Mouse?

Hello

griffisb@bellsouth.net (<griffisb@bellsouth.net>) wrote:

>    I've been running Mandrake 9.1 on my desktop since it came out,
>    then removed it and installed SuSE. Wanted to try Debian, did a
>    clean install on Debian Stable last night.
>
>    Install went pretty well, the desktop is up, network works, X is
>    configured. Question one is: how to I specify KDE as I preferred
>    desktop? The first time I did startx, KDE opened up. After
>    rebooting and starting X again, Gnome came up. I'd prefer KDE.

Systemwide: take a look at /etc/alternatives and the update-alternatives
utility. Try:
update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
Per user: use your .xsession to define your window manager or desktop

>    Second question is, is there a FAQ on configuring sound? I have an
>    EnsonIQ 1370 card (an older card, about 5 years old). It works in
>    Mandrake and SuSE - so I know the trouble I'm running into is on my
>    end. Do I have to install ALSA? Under tasksel, I selected desktop
>    (well, I selected a TON of things, and figured I'd remove after
>    getting familiar with the system).

What exactly does not work? Check if the driver module is loaded with
lsmod (I think you need the es1370 module). To load it automatically at
boottime, add the driver to your /etc/modules (either manually or using
modconf). If you use the 2.2 installation kernel (2.2.20-idepci), it is
possible that it does not include the driver you need. Check your
kernel config (you can find in /boot). The Option CONFIG_SOUND_ES1370
should be set to "y" or "m".

Additionally, add your user to the "audio" group, otherwise you will get
permission problems.

>    Third question: I couldn't figure out how to configure a
>    USB-attached mouse, so I just popped in a Microsoft PS/2
>    Intellimouse. The Intellimouse works, but I'd prefer using the USB
>    mouse if I can on Debian Stable.

You need to load the necessary drivers, among them
usb-uhci|usb-ohci|usb-ehci (depending on your USB controller), the hid
and mousedev drivers and maybe also the usbmouse module. And set XFree
to the correct input devices and protocol.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen