EnsonIQ 1370, KDE, USB Mouse?

Hey all,

   I've been running Mandrake 9.1 on my desktop since it came out, then removed it and installed SuSE. Wanted to try Debian, did a clean install on Debian Stable last night.

   Install went pretty well, the desktop is up, network works, X is configured. Question one is: how to I specify KDE as I preferred desktop? The first time I did startx, KDE opened up. After rebooting and starting X again, Gnome came up. I'd prefer KDE.

   Second question is, is there a FAQ on configuring sound? I have an EnsonIQ 1370 card (an older card, about 5 years old). It works in Mandrake and SuSE - so I know the trouble I'm running into is on my end. Do I have to install ALSA? Under tasksel, I selected desktop (well, I selected a TON of things, and figured I'd remove after getting familiar with the system).

   Third question: I couldn't figure out how to configure a USB-attached mouse, so I just popped in a Microsoft PS/2 Intellimouse. The Intellimouse works, but I'd prefer using the USB mouse if I can on Debian Stable.

Thanks for any pointers,
BruceG