Re: Fetchmail stuck on bad messages

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 02:15:08AM -0400, Travis Crump wrote:

> No, I reckon the debian list software is broken, it is sending out mail
> without a valid From/Return-Path address.  Also, I am not positive that
> it is fetchmail that is barfing, it may be that exim is refusing to
> deliver the mail.  Also, just in case it wasn't clear, it won't do you
> any good to install procmail on your box, procmail would need to be
> installed on the box you are fetching from to be useful in this case.

Well, I dropped back one revision (from my /var/cache/apt/archive) for
both fetchmail and exim and the problem remains.  It's a terrible
problem because when fetchmail is unable to flush it does not fetch
any more messages.  When one is subscribed to a handful of Debian
lists, it doesn't take long for the backlog of stuck messages to reach
hundreds, and then I have to read and delete them all in Mozilla.

It may well be a problem with the Debian list software, but it sure
seems that exim/fetchmail ought to be able to better deal with it.  I
suspect my configuration is also somehow not optimum.

--
Michael Epting (epting@ix.netcom.com)