Re: Fetchmail stuck on bad messages

Michael Epting wrote:
On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 01:25:36AM -0400, Travis Crump wrote:

Michael Epting wrote:

I'm seeing stuff like this in my fetchmail log:
octets) fetchmail: SMTP error: 501 <bounce-debian-user=@lists.debian.org>: malformed address: @[]> may not follow <bounce-debian-user=@lists.debian.org-
fetchmail:  not flushed

I am seeing it too[though it didn't actually create a logjam, other messages were still being fetched, just all the list mail wasn't cause it all had these bad headers] I now have a procmail recipe that is essentially:

:0fw
| sed -e 's$lists.debian.org-@\[\]$lists.debian.org$g'

which fixes the messages enough so that fetchmail doesn't barf, but that is of course a gross hack.

Ironically, your reply also had the header problem (on "Return-Path:).

I don't have procmail installed -- up till now I never saw a need
because exim is sorting my mail into proper inboxes for me.  So do you
suppose that fetchmail is broken?

No, I reckon the debian list software is broken, it is sending out mail without a valid From/Return-Path address. Also, I am not positive that it is fetchmail that is barfing, it may be that exim is refusing to deliver the mail. Also, just in case it wasn't clear, it won't do you any good to install procmail on your box, procmail would need to be installed on the box you are fetching from to be useful in this case.