Re: Mouse not functioning in KDE2.2(stable)/ X-windows-system-core 4.2.19 (unstable)

shut wrote:

Kent West wrote:

shut wrote:

Here's that current (/etc/gpm.conf) config file.

device=/dev/mouse
responsiveness=
repeat_type=ms3
type=autops2
append=""
sample_rate=

Does the mouse have a PS/2 connector, or the older 9-pin style of serial connector (or something else)? If PS/2, your device should be /dev/psaux in /etc/gpm.conf. If 9-pin serial, it should be /dev/ttyS[0-3, probably 0]. "/dev/mouse" is probably a link to the real device file (and it may not even exist if you didn't create it).

You'll want to set "repeat_type" to "raw" instead of "ms3", and I don't recall ever having success with "autops2" as the "type"; I always specifically set it to "ps2" or "imps2" or whatever protocol the mouse needs.

I'd get gpm working in the console (outside of X, like via Ctrl-Alt-F2, then login) before trying to tackle the mouse within X.

Ah thank you for the helpful info. I have configured and reconfigured everything, but yet, the mouse does not respond in kdm. /dev/mouse is linked to gpmdata. Using /dev/mouse and /dev/psaux lead to x/kde starting up, but the mouse still not working. It is quite possible this is a hardware problem now, but the mouse has worked on other systems. I suppose there's not really more I could do aside from these simple steps, eh?

Does the mouse have a PS/2 connector, or the older 9-pin style of serial connector (or something else)?

If I understand what you're saying, your gpm is pulling mouse data from /dev/mouse, which is linked to /dev/gpmdata, which is getting its data from gpm. In other words, you've got a big empty infinite loop going here. X won't be able to get any data either in this case.

--
Kent West (westk@acu.edu)